Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas Day

First thing this morning I went down to the neighbor's house to feed Joseph and Solomon and go for a mile-long walk. When we got back to their house, Joe and Sol sat real pretty in anticipation of the biscuit they knew was coming:





Then I fixed a "Marshall" breakfast: Two eggs over-medium (true-to-form they came out over-hard just like they always do when I make them -- Marshall would have expected that), 2 pieces of whole wheat toast -- buttered liberally, some Colby cheese, and, also true-to-form, I had some ham to go with that and forgot to get it out. Marshall would have expected that, too. (I can hear him now: "Uh, honey, didn't you say we had some ham?"). But I ate it and it tasted good to me

Late morning it started snowing like crazy and there was 4 inches of snow in a short amount of time. Then it quit suddenly.

I went out and swept a path out to Marshall's tree (yes, the snow was just powder and easily swept). I got the spot all ready to scatter the ashes. And then came in and got everything together. I took the flag I was presented with out to the spot, along with a cup of coffee, since he would sit out there for a hours drinking coffee and looking at the view.

While I was outside getting ready to scatter ashes, I got a call from Marshall's cousin Janice and her son Bill in Chicago, two very dear people. They couldn't have called at a better time -- they stayed on the line while I spread the ashes. That was special. Here are the photos:

The ashes:







I wanted Coco out there with me, but when he got out in the snow he decided he didn't want to be part of this ceremony so I brought him back in (and I have no idea why this photo decided to take over the screen!):




The "Wyco Holler" tree:




The memorial flag and a cup of coffee sitting on Marshall's chair. The photo I put in the flag frame was Marshall's absolute favorite photo. It was taken at a Dumb Friends League fundraiser at Fred & Jana's house and they had a rescue group there who did a demonstration with Eagles. They took this photo of Marshall with one of their Eagles on his shoulder (the "handler" is actually holding the eagle and she is ducked down behind Marshall.)








The view that reminded him so much of West Virginia:






I feel Marshall's presence everywhere. I have had a few crying spells, but mostly I am having such a nice Christmas. I figure I'll fix the hodge-podge meal around 4:30.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!!
Love from Marilyn, Coco, Jerry and Okie:









In memory of Marshall:






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


No comments:

Post a Comment