Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Update

I just got home from the hospital. He was admitted mainly so that they could get his pain under control, and hopefully to figure out what is causing it. I could have spent the night in his room but I wanted to get back to my animals and bask in their love and support before hearing any more bad news. So I drove the 60 miles home and I will drive the 60 miles back to the hospital tomorrow morning early.

When I left this evening they had FINALLY gotten him some pain relief. He got so many opiods (I think that's the word) today that he won't be able to go to the bathroom for years! But after moaning and calling out in unbelievable pain all day today, when I left he was actually sleeping (they finally got the okay to give him something called Dilaudid). And they had gotten the okay to keep giving him the Dilaudid every three hours. Very hard core painkiller. Morphine didn't work but the Dilaudid did.

They did a CT scan and took blood, but when I left we still hadn't officially heard the results. I heard one of the nurses say that there was nothing remarkable with any of the tests they did, so now what? I guess that means the pain is definitely just the cancer in the bones and he's going to have to live with it until we can get him in good enough shape to get up to the cancer center and get set up for his radiation.

The emergency room doctor suggested that maybe they could transport Marshall up to the University Hospital so that he could be admitted there and get started on his treatment, but I don't know if that idea will fly or not. If they do that, I will have to scramble to get a dogsitter in place....

And I don't know if a CT scan would show fractures or not, but the way he was acting, not being able to take a big breath without lots of pain, I was thinking maybe he had a fractured rib. But what do I know?

I'll post an update tomorrow.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment