Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Immortality

Marshall was on a mailing list for an oncologist named Michael Glode and I still get Marshall's emails so I got the latest mailing. Dr. Glode says something about death that I found soooooo interesting. I wish Marshall was still alive to have been able to read this.

Whether you are a religious person or not, you are immortal. The carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, phosphorus and other atoms that make “you” will never be changed, or if they are, it will be in some sort of nuclear reaction that changes them into another element and involves incredible energy. After all, as Carl Sagan liked to point out, we are all stardust – made (or created if you would rather), from the stuff that happens when stars collapse. Beyond that, I happen to think that the energy you have put back into our universe in the form of words spoken, deeds done, mountains climbed, and so forth are immortal as well. You, or YOU… have made a difference in the cosmos by being alive.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment