Monday, August 20, 2012

My doctor appointment

I had my doctor appointment today to go over the lab work that I had done last week.  It was a weird set of labs.  My bad cholesterol had gone down from its high of 160 (two years ago) to 128;  my good cholesterol is now too low at 39.  Total cholesterol is 201 (normal shouldn't be higher than 199).

But what concerned the doctor was that my white blood cell count was low (at 3.9, where normal is between 4.0 and 10.5).  Neutrophils (?) are low (at 36, where normal is between 40 and 74%) and my lymphocytes are high (at 47, where normal is between 14 and 46%).  Dr. Nicolescu says it is mildly concerning and he could not suggest what could be causing it.  So we need to watch it and he gave me a followup appointment in six months for more labwork to see where we stand.

In the meantime, I've had a pain under my jaw for quite a while now and it was thought to be tied to salivary glands, but antibiotics didn't get rid of it.  So I am being referred to an ENT and should get that referral in the next two or three days.

This all feels so strange to me -- I went 65 years without hardly ever seeing a doctor and then boom, between Marshall and me it seems that's all we do is see doctors! 

The rest of today we rested up from our very active weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment