Sunday, February 7, 2016

Update

The cardiologist just came by (Dr. Jose Pacheco) and he is going to schedule the Pacemaker implant for tomorrow morning at 7:30A. It will be under local anesthesia and sedatives. It will be a 2-lead pacemaker.

He says that the pacemaker is NOT a treatment for Afib, it is simply a control for the heart rate. So after the pacemaker is implanted we still have to regulate the medications for the Afib, so I will have to be monitored for at least one night, maybe two.

Then if the medications don't work for the Afib, I still will need to consider ablation surgery (which would be done by an electrophysiologist, probably at the University Hospital). They had discontinued the medications yesterday so he is going to start them up again today to try to get started on a medication regimen.

I will have to have a sling for my left arm, for the sole purpose of keeping me from raising my arm above my shoulder level. And he says I shouldn't drive for five or six days. But I will be able to lift/carry my dog and do most other household activities.

He said that today's pacemakers are MRI-friendly and they also come with a radio transmitter to send information to the doctor. I asked him if he would be my doctor and he said that would be fine if that's what I wanted.

I really like this cardiologist. He is upbeat, tells jokes, answers all my questions and is not rushed. He graduated from Harvard Medical School many years ago and has been practicing for 37 years. I found a few reviews of him and they were all good.

So that's the story for now. I will let you know as things progress.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment