Saturday, January 26, 2013

The pain has returned

For the past two days Marshall has had pretty bad pain in his right leg making it difficult for him to even walk. I got him a knee brace to help stabilize the leg and he also has one of those 4-legged canes which helps a lot. The Advil wasn't really doing much but, silly me, I was only giving him the recommended dose. After talking to others, we have increased the Advil dose tonight and we'll see if it helps.

I consulted Dr. Google again and found a few sites that indicate that after radiation treatments pain can come and go for a month, maybe even two months, so Marshall is not sure whether to get a doctor appointment or tough it out and see if it lets up. We'll play it by ear. One of the sites I found explained it this way: Radiation kills the targeted cancer cells but those cells don't immediately leave the body. It takes them a while to break down and work their way out and during that time there can be intermittent pain. I like that explanation because you can actually almost visualize the cancer leaving and kind of "kicking and screaming" on its way out! But I don't know if that's really what's causing his present pain.

There is nothing worse than seeing a loved one in such pain for an extended period of time and not be able to do a darn thing to make it better.

Friday is his birthday and his daughter is coming for 4 days (Feb 1 to Feb 4) and he is looking forward to that. I hope he feels good enough to make it a nice visit. I plan to sneak out and play with some friends while Tanya is here!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment