Friday, January 4, 2013

Glad to be home

Marshall is very glad to be home but he is very tired and was a little nauseous today (I'm sure the nausea is from the colitis). I had to run to Canon City to fill some prescriptions for him and he stayed home and rested. He is still a bit groggy from all of the morphine he got in the hospital. Happily, he hasn't needed any pain medications since he's been home.

He has an appointment on Monday to get lab work done so that his white blood cell count can be checked again. I did a little quick research and learned that the white blood cell count can get a little low from radiation treatments so I'm guessing that's what caused it.

Then we have an appointment on Thursday (the 10th) with his primary care physician to go over all of the things the hospitalist recommended. Here's a funny story: when the hospitalist released Marshall from the hospital, he gave us prescriptions for fast-acting morphine, as well as three different laxatives. He stressed that Marshall MUST take these every day several times a day. It sounded like overkill to me, but he insisted.

Today when I went to get the prescriptions filled, the pharmacist said he wanted to talk to me. He wanted to know why the doctor prescribed so many laxatives. I said I didn't know. The pharmacist said he was reluctant to fill the prescription because he couldn't imagine a scenario where that many laxatives would be called for. I agreed with him. We will talk to primary care doctor about that on the 10th.

We heard from the oncologist and even though Marshall had the PSA test done at the hospital, Dr. Flaig has decided to do it again when we see him on the 17th just to double check and I am so glad he's doing that. It may not end up showing any different results but my research with "Dr. Google" tells me that it is possible under certain circumstances to get an elevated reading. And to my way of thinking, Marshall has gone through so darn much in the past two weeks that there are a gazillion things that could possibly cause an elevated reading.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment