Sunday, November 2, 2014

We are home, but.....

We left the hospital around 1:30 and went to Walgreens to fill a bunch of prescriptions. The prescription for Dilaudid couldn't be filled because it is evidently such a heavy duty drug that we have to go through several layers of approval in order to get it. So I will take the necessary paperwork to Walgreens tomorrow to try to get that in the works.

Marshall was fine all the way home. We got home and he was getting all settled to watch a football game when all of a sudden he had trouble breathing. He has oxygen here (he uses oxygen at night) so we got the oxygen out and hooked him up.

I left the room for a few minutes and when I came back, he was face down on the floor. He says he fainted. I was going to call 911 and he wouldn't let me. He says he is not going back to the hospital and delay that radiation any longer.

Somehow he was able to get into bed with the oxygen and he fell asleep leaving me in a total panic.

Since his only oxygen problem here at the house was due to his sleep apnea and he uses a CPAP machine with oxygen at night because of that, and he's never had problems during the day before, I am inclined to think that this evening's episode was brought on by anxiety. I gave him an Ativan a little while ago to calm him. But he is still sleeping with the CPAP mask on.

So now tomorrow I need to get over to the oxygen place and see if we can get him set up for our trip to Denver on Tuesday and if it turns out we need to spend a week or so in Denver, we're going to need to be ready with oxygen. I told him tonight that it is time to start looking for nursing help. After he went to sleep I tried to get a plan together for taking the MANY MANY pills he has to take every day and I was completely and totally overwhelmed.

He needs morphine at 6AM, 2PM and 10PM. If he has any breakthrough pain between those times he gets to take a Dilaudid "as needed." He needs Zofran at 7:30A. He needs chemo at 8:00A. He needs prednisone at 9:00 and 5:00. He needs Prilosec in the morning and at bedtime. He needs Spiriva in the morning whenever he gets up. He needs sleeping pills at bedtime, as well as an antidepressant. He has allergy pills that need to be given twice a day and also "as needed" if there is any coughing.

Then there's the over-the-counter stuff: fish oil, vitamin B, vitamin D3.

Then there's the insulin injection before bed, one blood pressure pill in the morning and a different blood pressure pill at night. And then I need to be sure prescriptions get renewed before they run out (keeping in mind that with things like sleeping pills or antidepressants or tranquilizers you can't renew them too far in advance -- they have to be almost gone before a renewal will be allowed which cuts it very close). When you add the possible need for oxygen on top of that, I'm so afraid that he will have serious health problems because I screwed up on the meds.

But for now, we will limp through this whole radiation thing. At least once we get up there we will be just a block away from the University Hospital. I've sent a message to the radiation oncologist to see if he can tell me now what the radiation schedule will be so I will know whether to pack for one day or two weeks. And also we have to give our house-sitter a little idea of how long we need her.

Let's hope that tomorrow I have little or nothing to report in this blog.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment