Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Another prostate cancer blog

I know there are some men following this blog who are also suffering from advanced prostate cancer and we have enjoyed hearing from you and talking to you and following your progress.  I would like to suggest that you subscribe (if you haven't already) to the blog of a guy named Dan Zenka, Vice President of Communications of the Prostate Cancer Foundation.  He was diagnosed with Stage IV Prostate Cancer in 2010 and he started a blog called the New York Minute.

Today's blog was awesome and kind of speaks to Marshall's plans to help veterans and how much that will help him as well ... some excerpts are below:

"I remember my wife once lamenting how, between my current status as a Stage 4 cancer patient and my job at the Foundation, there is just no way I can ever turn off or escape from thinking about cancer. Anyone reading this knows she is right. Try as one may, cancer lingers day in and day out as a nagging thought that can only be brushed aside like an annoying fly that insists on continually returning. Even if that fly does take a short hiatus, there’s always any number of side effects that willingly stand in for the reminding role."
"Recently, much of my evenings and weekend free time has been focused on helping some students and families get a teacher back. I have to say, the diversion has been a powerful therapy. For the past week, my outlook has been brighter and I smiled ear to ear driving home last Friday evening as I realized the source of my lightness–a 7-day vacation from that annoying fly! It’s astounding what a good cause can do, not to mention the new community bonds and acquaintances that have been made."
"This new focus has been very good for me at this point in my journey. I believe I will find myself telling other patients, if they are physically able, to find a diverisonary cause. It can do a patient a world of good."

No comments:

Post a Comment