Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Snow and slick roads

It was snowing a little bit this morning and I had planned to go to Canon City today to pick up a few things at Walmart. I took my truck and since it has 4-wheel drive, I decided to take the back road which is mountainous but much shorter. It is a 25-mile drive.

About 12 miles down the road, I hit a patch of ice and slid off into a deep ditch, slid for about 25 or 30 feet, barely missed a rock wall, and veered back up on the road. I saw my "low tire pressure" light come on. It is not a well populated road, but I knew there was a small country restaurant/fire department/cowboy church/combination called The General Store a few miles down the road, so I kept on driving. I made it there and they were closed but they have a nice parking lot where I could assess the damage without being a sitting duck out on a very narrow snowy road.

By that time, I had a flat tire. The running board was broken in half and the driver's door was scratched up. The people who own the General Store (and who also live there) came out and told me to come in and use their phone (there's no cell coverage along that road). So after a few hours, the tow truck came and got my truck and I called another friend who came and picked me up and drove me home.

And here's an interesting side story: Coco goes with me everywhere and when I leave the house he is right behind me waiting to get picked up and put in the truck. Today he followed me out but he absolutely refused to get into the truck. And when I tried to pick him up, he ran back to the house and wanted back in. He simply would not go with me. Very very unusual. Perhaps I should have paid attention??



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment