Tuesday, March 26, 2013

2-week checkup

Marshall has to be monitored every 2 weeks now that he is on the new drug, Zytiga. Today was the first monitoring visit to the Cancer Center.

We got there at noon and had the lab work done. Then we saw Dr. Flaig's Nurse Practitioner to go over the results.

I have to say that I got very confused at this visit. I usually write everything down and leave with a decent understanding of what's going on but even though the NP was very clear and answered all our questions, I was still confused.

But here's what I think we went over: Marshall's liver and kidney functions were fine (and that's the main thing they are checking). But his calcium levels and Vitamin D levels were low. I think she said that this didn't have anything to do with the Zytiga but instead was associated with the Xgeva (the bone strengthener) injections that he's been getting. One of its side effects is hypocalcemia or low calcium levels.

I also think she said we would maybe delay the next Xgeva injection until we check the Vitamin D and calcium levels again. She said to continue taking the Citracal every day because it has elemental calcium and that's the best kind but that the Citracal should be taken on an empty stomach. This presents a problem. We have so many medications now that can't be taken at the same time and some on an empty stomach, some with food, that we are not sure we can work out a schedule that will fit every dosage instruction. I think I need an Excel spreadsheet. :)

She also said that she prefers he gets as much calcium as possible from food and she gave us a list of food items and their calcium content. But she said to try to not take the Citracal close to the same time he eats a dairy product because it doesn't absorb as well. On the up side, though, on her list of food items that contained elemental calcium is ice cream!

Then she talked about the prednisone. Marshall had gained a few pounds and the NP said that the prednisone could be increasing his appetite and that if he continues to gain weight they will probably need to adjust the prednisone to a lower dosage. My mind is racing -- since the prednisone is a part of the cancer medication team (Zytiga and prednisone), won't it be less than optimal to adjust the prednisone to a lower level? I'm having trouble keeping up.

But we go back in another two weeks -- on April 8 -- for more lab work, and this next time there will also be a PSA test, and I'll try to get a better grip on it then.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment